Friday, July 13, 2007

Be Tough Enough To Follow Through

I believe tough times are time of filtering where only the fittest remains. During tough times, many might lose their jobs when their company downsize. And making matters worse, job opportunity slow to a crawl so it isn't easy finding a job after losing one. It is then the employer market, where one cannot be anymore choosy.

What many don't realize is that tough times create enormous opportunities for those willing to seize the moment. Check this out: The Benefits of Tough Times

"The most important thing when confronted with adversity is to concentrate on what to do next, not on what has gone wrong" - Tom J. Fatjo

Let's take a look at this story that illustrate this point:

There was once a farmer who owned an old mule. One day the mule fell into his well. As the water was not very deep, the mule did not drown. However, the farmer decided that neither the mule nor the well was worth the trouble of saving. He then asked his neighbors to help bury the mule in the well.

The mule was frightened at first when shovels of dirt fell on his back. But later, a thought struck him: "if I could shake the dirt off my back and use it as a platform to elevate myself, I would soon be out of the well…" So he kept his cool and bore the painful blows of every shovel of dirt.

And true enough, the mule soon managed to step out of the well, battered and exhausted, but still alive. The dirt that was supposed to kill him turned out to be a lifeline because of the way he handled the situation.

Well, life is like that. If we respond to our problems positively and refuse to panic or wallow in bitterness or self-pity, we will prevail.

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably does not lead anywhere." - F.A. Clark

Tough times are there so you can have a good time later on - and really appreciate it! What do you think?

Photo by Pulpolux !!! taken from this source

Related posts:

6 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Sam,

Fabulous post!

I believe that not only in our lives but in the whole universe, growth comes through tension, or challenge, or even struggle.

It is not always easy to remember during those difficult times but it remains true!

Thanks for this great post!

Jen

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jennifer,

I fully agree with you, the whole universe grow when there are a lot of challenges!

Many thanks for adding your insightful thoughts to my post.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

I never stay on any blog this much of time. I read almost all the posts.

I will be regular reader of this blog.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Anonymous,
I am glad that you liked my blog.
This is really a great encouragement to me. It means a lot!

Thank you very much.
My best wishes.

mr fong said...

Hello,just chanced upon your blog after adding you on mybloglog.Must say this has inspired me--being a tutor students come and go, and some create more heartache than others, but i'm glad i get the notion of looking for what to do next,instead of looking at what;s wrong.Thank you!

check out my blog too at www.eatyourmaths.blogspot.com

Sam Chan said...

Hi Mr Fong,
Thanks for joining my community.

Very true, we must remember to look forward and not on what has gone wrong.

Best Wishes