In this last decade, science has discovered a tremendous amount about the role emotions play in our lives. Researchers have found that emotional awareness and the abilities to handle feelings are much more important than I.Q.
Either you control your emotions, or they control you.
Studies have shown there was very little correlation between a child's success in examinations and his/her success in adult life.
At best, I.Q. contributes 20% to the factors that determine life's success, which leaves 80% to other forces - Emotional Intelligence.
"Emotional Intelligence is a way of recognizing, understanding, and choosing how we think, feel, and act. It shapes our interactions with others and our understanding of ourselves. It defines how and what we learn; it allows us to set priorities; it drives many of our daily actions." - Freedman et al.
"What really matters for success, character, happiness and life long achievements is a definite set of emotional skills - your EQ - not just purely cognitive abilities that are measured by conventional IQ tests." - Daniel Goleman, Ph.D.
Below is an I.Q. game. If you are interested, try it out. Do share the lessons you had acquired from this IQ game!
- Only 2 persons on the raft at a time
- The father can not stay with any of the daughters without their mother’s presence
- The mother can not stay with any of the sons without their father’s presence
- The thief (striped shirt) can not stay with any family member if the Policeman is not there
- Only the Father, the Mother and the Policeman know how to operate the raft
- To start click on the big blue circle on the right.
- To move the people click on them.
- To move the raft click on the pole on the opposite side of the river.
Photo by slark taken from this source
- Competence Starts with feeling competent
- You must take action
- Action generates inspiration
- Know yourself well
- Pay attention to your thinking