Friday, September 21, 2007

Remember to KISS?

"All the fun is in how you say a thing." - Robert Frost

KISS is an acronym of the phrase "Keep It Simple, Stupid". Another version of the phrase is "Keep It Short & Simple" which you might hear quite often before you deliver your speech or presentation to a group of people who have a very tight schedule.

Sidney Smith wrote: "The writer helps us the most who give us the most knowledge, and takes from us the least time."

If you understand this principle well, you will always try to keep your writing short and simple by going straight to the point.

I love short and simple quotes because they are easy to remember and give remarkable impact. Below are some of those short quotes that I love:

"Men learn while they teach.
"Conceit is the quicksand of success."
"Today is the future I created yesterday."
"I look within to find my treasures."
"Good, to forgive; Best, to forget."
"Our attitude determines our altitude."
"You never know what you can do till you try."
"You never miss the water till the well runs dry."
"We are often our own worst enemy."
"Mistakes are the best teachers."
"Delegate but don't forget."

The above short quotes can be good topics for blogging!

In commercial world, very few thin books make big money even though their content can be superb because many could finish reading those books without the need of buying. However, in blog I tend to believe that we don't need long posts because many people don't really have time to read as there are so many blogs nowadays. Besides, since we blog daily, breaking a long post into multiple posts should be more effective.

What is your view about this? By the way, if you have short quotes you love, please share in your comments. Thank you.

Photo 1 by sierraromeo taken from this source
Photo 2 by ario_j taken from this source

Related posts:

6 comments:

Trix said...

I love it...Kiss .. Keep it short and simple! I agree that there are some great blogging topics here as well.I love reading meaningful quotes, but I tend to forget them unless I write them down.I have a rather bad memory for such things.
The quote here today that I love most is.."We are often our own worst enemy."
Very true indeed, and it reminds me to be aware at all times of my actions.Too often,we sabotage things without even realising it.
Sam, I wont see you for a few days as I am flying up to Gauteng for a brief holiday with my daughter.However, I wish you the best of weekends and will be eager to read all the posts I missed when I return! Happy Blogging.. :)
Jesse ..

surjit singh said...

Sam Chan, I fully agree with your views:
'...breaking a long post into multiple posts should be more effective....' and time saving for both i.e. the writer and the reader..
Thanks for wonderful quotes:
I like: "We are often our own worst enemy."
God bless.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your valuable thoughts.

Hope to see you again after your wonderful holiday with your daughter.

Take care and God bless

Sam Chan said...

Hi Surjit,

Thanks for your continuous support. I really appreciate it a lot.

Let's enjoy blogging.
Best Wishes

WaterLearner said...

Hi Sam!

Yeah, I agree with the KISS Concept. In fact, I consciously try to keep the posts in my humble blog short and to the point. I know that my valued readers (like yourself) hold busy professional lives, hence keeping my post short would not take up so much of their time and energies to read.

A Good Post, Sam!

Sam Chan said...

Hi Karen,

You are doing a great job with your blog. I’ve had a great time reading your posts and comments.

Happy Blogging
Best Wishes