Sunday, September 30, 2007

Don't lose your courage

"Courage is knowing what not to fear." - Plato

Definition of Courage
According to the Oxford dictionary, courage is the ability to do something that frightens one. It is strength in the face of pain or grief.

We do need lots of courage
We need lots of courage to stand up for what’s right when we stand alone. Or to do what’s right despite disapproval. Or even to take risks that are for our own good. Many people dare not ask for further explanation when the question sounds stupid. Indeed, it also takes a lot of courage to admit you don’t know certain thing or don't even know what you’re doing.

Well, what would your life look like if you had absolutely no fear?

Let's take a look at this story:
There was once a man who was suffered from a deadly illness. Knowing that he will die soon, he was the first to join the military when his country was in a battle with the enemy. Hoping to die in battle, he would fight in the front line, exposing himself without any worry for his life. Eventually they won the battle and he was still alive!

His commander was extremely impressed with his bravery which contributed much to the victory, decided to promote and award him with medals of bravery and honor. On the day of presentation, he was looking very down and unhappy. Curious, the commander asked him the reason why and was told of his deadly illness. "How could I let such a brave soldier die?", the commander thought. So the commander hired the best doctor and finally cured the soldier.

But from that day onwards, the once fearless and brave soldier was no longer seen at the front! He would always avoid danger and tried his best to protect his life instead of risking it!

When you remain in your comfort zone, you can be like the soldier eventually holding you back from moving forward. Thus, don't lose your courage to do what is necessary! Break the chain and free yourself.

“Take a chance! All life is a chance. The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare.” - Dale Carnegie

"A timid person is frightened before a danger, a coward during the time, and a courageous person afterward." - Jean Paul Richter

Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours.

Photo 1 by Carl M. taken from this source
Photo 2 by Photo-Gedden taken from this source

Related posts:

24 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Sam...

Very nice!

I'm one of those who likes their comfort zone! :-)

And, you are exactly right that allowing fear to limit us keeps us from enjoying life and living to our highest potential!

Great post!

:-)

Jen

NIHAL said...

Hi Sam,

Well I think most of us live in a comfort zone for most parts of our lives.

Having the right amount of courage is definitely a step into the right direction I guess, and we all have choices, it's just whether we see them in the right manner :)

Tawnya Shields said...

Hi Sam,
I agree that we as humans tend to take the path of least resistance. A human surivival instinct? It does take great courage to step out and take risks. Both real and imagined.

surjit singh said...

Hi Sam,
An award awaits you at http://gurushabad1.blogspot.com
Best wishes.

WalksFarWoman said...

What a great lesson Sam. It reminds me of the phrase 'A life lived in fear is a life half lived'.

Hope you'll drop by and accept the award I just posted for you.:)

Sue said...

Sam, You've been tagged as Fabulous by me!

Which is great after a post like this! I love that picture. It reminds me of when my children were first learning to go up the stairs. Ah, memories. ;-)

FL Sam said...

Another Great Post Sam. In order to succeed, we must have to take calculated risk. Only with courage, we will proceed when we have decided. :)

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jennifer,

I am glad you liked this post.

Let's encourage one another to do much much more that we could. Well, it is the smile and joy that give us the fuel to carry on.

My Best Wishes to you Jennifer

Sam Chan said...

Hi Nihal,

Thanks for your comments.
Indeed, we need the right amount of courage to help us get into the right direction if we make the choice.

Anyway, sometimes difficulties or certain happenings do help one to move away from their comfort zone.

Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Tawnya,

Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

I agree with you. It could be human survival instinct that locks us into the so call safety net of comfort zone.

Blessings to you Tawnya.

Sam Chan said...

Thanks Surjit! for that fabulous award.

Blessings to you my friend.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Walksfarwoman,
Thanks for your comment.
I will visit your blog after this.

Blessings to you.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your comments and tagged.
I really appreciate it.

Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Sam,

I am glad you liked this post.
Thanks for your comments.

Well, I tend to believe it is how strong the passion for a good course that make us willing take risk. When we start to calculate the risk, a lot of time, we may end up staying where we are! :)

My Best Wishes

lilifxt said...

hi sam lovely post

Take a chance! All life is a chance. The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare

life is a chance that we should take it so braverly and have courage to face our fears

thx for good post

WaterLearner said...

Hey Sam,

Good one. I especially like:
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours."

Blessings to you, Sam!

J@n!ce said...

I need a whole tons of courage to put my hands once again on the driving wheels. I have to get some practice on it. My hubs travel v often now & I have to play his part to chauffuer the kiddos around. I'm a timid person but I think this time I have to be strong & determined to do it. This is very challenging to me consider the fact that I've not been driving for 4 yrs now *blush* :):)

Janice Ng

Christinehaze is SC's author said...

This is one great post again. I don't know but your post are always very well written and explained.

This is a good one though..."Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours."

After all that man is not courageous. He was only acting like he was because he knows he's gonna die anyway. He was hopeless until he was completely healed by the help of his commander.

Would I do the same thing? I guess, I'm not sure really.

Thanks for sharing Sam

Anonymous said...

Good Post Sam. The deadly ill man wanted to die in a battle that is why he is courageous whereas when he is cured, he acted cowardly because he wanted to live on. One’s mindset influences one’s action and one’s action determines one’s life.

Open Your Mind to Prosperity

Sam Chan said...

Hi Lili,

Thanks for your continuous support. I am glad you liked this post.

Let's build up the courage to do things that we know that is beneficial!

Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Karen,

Let's encourage one another to step out of the comfort zone when there are opportunities to do good.

Blessings to you too Karen!

Sam Chan said...

Hi Janice,

FYI, due to my job posting to USA in the late 1999 till mid 2001, my wife had to send my kids to school. Ever since then, she can drive much much better than I.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.” - Ambrose Redmoon

I wish you all the best. Be strong and you can face the challenge! You can drive.. just be more careful till it has become a norm.

Blessings to you and yours

Sam Chan said...

Hi Haze,

Thanks for your compliment. I am glad you liked my postings.

May you have the courage to do what is necessary!

My Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Honman,

Exactly! Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

Let's continue to feed in the necessary food for our thoughts so that we can have a strong and courageous mindset.

Best Wishes