Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Fear of being too old to succeed

The one constant in our life is change: changing roles, new demands, multiple projects, more responsibility and constantly juggling priorities in the workplace. We are time-starved and work-hurried.

In our rush to reach our goals, many suffer from all kinds of ailments such as high blood pressure, heart-stroke or ulcers. One shouldn't be proud to have these kinds of diseases, sort of a "success symbol" that they are the fast-paced people on the fast-track.

Forget about your age, just set out with your objectives, it may take some time but don't push it or else you may not be able to enjoy the fruit of your labour.

A story to illustrate this point:

Once there was a farmer who was very anxious to see his paddy (rice) plant grow fast and tall. After just sowing the seeds, he would just keep on watching day in and day out to see how much it had grown. By the time the seedlings had grown a couple of inches higher, he could not longer wait anymore and decided to "help" the paddy plants grow faster. Thus one day he pulled each one of the plant taller by an inch or so. You can guess what happened to all the plants the next day. So don't force it.

"Youth and age are not dates in time, but state of mind. Our duty is not to add years to our lives, but to add life to our years..." - Myron J. Taylor

Photo by yoz taken from this source

Related posts:

6 comments:

surjit singh said...

Well said....we should add years to life..."
A good message.Thanks for good work.Good luck.

KatesMarie said...

I agree, sometimes I feel life passing me by, and think I am getting to old to accomplish my goals. However I have come to realize I am just a late bloomer, and now I couldn't be happier with the direction my life has taken me even if it took me a few years.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Surjit,
Thanks for your continuous support.

May we all have a purposeful life!
Best wishes.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Kates,
Thanks for sharing your valuable views. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sam,

What an inspiring, encouraging, and empowering post. It's always too soon to "quit" and never too late to "start."

"To win, you must begin."

Sam Chan said...

Hi ManChild
Thanks for adding your wise sayings and views. I really value your participation. Best Wishes.