Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Lack of sleep kills

Worst Traffic Accident
An express bus overturned on Malaysia's main highway on August 13, 2007 tearing the vehicle's roof off, flinging seats into the air and leaving at least 20 people dead. The worst traffic accident in the history of Malaysia was due to the driver who may have fallen asleep at the wheel. - CNN.com

“Sleep is the best meditation.” - Dalai Lama

Sleep is essential
People who fail to get enough sleep after a long day at work could be putting their lives at risk, according to scientists. Research carried out in Australia suggests that the effects of sleep loss can be similar or worse than the effects of drinking alcohol to excess. - BBC News

“Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” - Ovid

Why Sleep is important?
A good sleep is necessary to help us to maintain good health and enable us to function at our best. You can’t focus and pay attention or respond quickly if you don't have enough sleep. A lack of sleep may even cause mood problems. In addition, a chronic lack of sleep increases the risk for developing diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and infections.

Research has also suggested that sleep loss may increase the risk of obesity because chemicals and hormones that play a key role in controlling appetite and weight gain are released during sleep.

A comprehensive new handbook from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) explains that sleep is not merely “down time” when the brain shuts off and the body rests.

“A well-spent day brings happy sleep” - Leonardo da Vinci

"The sleep of a laboring man is sweet, whether he eats little or much; but the abundance of the rich will not permit him to sleep." - Ecclesiastes 5:12 (NKJV)

Serious problem
Nowadays, Kids and teens are not getting enough sleep because they are watching too much TV and playing computer games. And we too are not getting enough sleep because of blogging. Indeed computer games, online chats and bloggings are fun. However, we ought to make sure we have enough sleep. Otherwise we are killing ourselves.

What do you think? Do you have enough sleep? If not, what is taking away your sleep time?

Photo 1 by ntr23 taken from this source
Photo 2 by said&done taken from this source
Photo 3 by MikeWebkist taken from this source

Related posts:

21 comments:

J@n!ce said...

Sam, thanks for the good reminder. I really haven't had a good sleep since blogging. I hope I could just shut down the notebook & forget about everything. I just cant cos my page is giving me some problem now.
Anyway, I will sleep after that. hehe ;p

Sam Chan said...

You are welcome, Janice!
I am not having enough sleep too! So much so that I drink coffee to stay awake and my health seems to be deteriorating! I am going to set a goal to sleep early! Instead of 2am maybe latest 12am.

Besides Obesity problem, sleep late also can makes us age faster!! - do you know?

Anyway, this post is also for my son who sleep so late that he is now having problem waking up to school! :-(

Best Wishes to you, Janice!

Unknown said...

LOL. I had fallen zzz in public transport before. Really couldn't help it. I hoped I didn't drool.. seriously, quality sleep is super important.

Trix said...

Sam, hello, what a really interesting post.I agree that we are so often lacking in our quota of sleep.I myself never seem to get enough of it.I used to sleep soundly before my daughter came along...now I sleep very lightly and also, I go to bed so late due to chores and blogging and no sooner have I closed my eyes than I have to open them again and start a new day.I am actually getting used to having minimum sleep, which is a bad thing to get used to.I know I need to rest a lot more.Great post, Sam...makes me remember, my body has basic needs for sleep that should be respected. :)

Sam Chan said...

Hi MJ,

You had fallen asleep in public transport! Ooh... you must be really tired! You are right!.. everybody need quality sleep.

Thanks for sharing your experience and valuable thoughts.

Best Wishes

anits said...

Sleep is very important..for past few dayz i am waking up so early for the merdeka rehearsal i am lack of sleep. This make me terribly tired. Night is a special blessing..either good or bad, it stands for peace.Giving us another start of what we call...DREAM.. so lets have a good sleep

Sam Chan said...

Thanks Jesse!
I am glad that you find this post interesting. I hope we all will be aware of this problem so that everybody will take good care of their body! Sleep is indeed the basic needs of our body. An Analogy: Even a brand new car not very well taken care (over use) will not last very long!

I wishes you good health and happy family!

My Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Anits,
Indeed waking up early too many days and not having enough sleep can make people sick. Hope you will have good rest after the Merdeka Day!

Best Wishes

WaterLearner said...

Hi Sam!

A good post relevant to healthy sleeping habits. I don't think it is a good idea to sleep late. And definitely bad to sleep after midnight on a regular basis.

Our body's internal renewal system gets activated about 11pm. The best way for the process to go is to be asleep by then.

I also agree that a well-spent day brings happy good sleep per Leonardo da Vinci. If our minds are present in every moment in the tasks that we are performing, there is no need to waste energies later thinking and fretting how we could have done better or in fear of some anticipated future.

My Shallow Thoughts.

Blessings to you, Sam!!

Anonymous said...

Good Post. This is a good reminder for us to sleep well. There is a saying "Resting is for you to embark a long journey." We are on a long life journey. We need to stay healthy to continue this journey. To stay healthy, we need to sleep well. Different people needs different amount of sleep, some people need 4 hours of sleep, some people need 8 hours of sleep. The key point is to sleep well. If you don’t sleep well, even if you sleep for one day, you will still feel tire. Fix your sleeping time and follow it. When it becomes a habit, you bio clock will automatically tell you, it is time to sleep.

J@n!ce said...

Sam, I am impressed how you have so much energy. Sleeping at 2am & waking up in time for work the next day :)
I can see myself aging a lot these 2 years comparing my photos last time to now. Getting to bed & sleep is such a wonderful thing yet pple are missing their sleep.... how funny !! :)

Janiceng SEO Traffic

surjit singh said...

Oh yes!!! Sam, I fully enjoy my sleep.(with God's Grace)
"Sleep is the best cure for waking troubles."
"O sleep, O gentle sleep,
Nature's soft nurse."..(Shakespeare)
A good post, Sam.
God bless you.

mr fong said...

Heh, this is interesting as it is rather different from your normal posts.. I sleep little :( Yeah, I am ageing, which blogger isnt? Heh..

Thanks for the post and the game below my dad is HOOKED (dont tell him)

:)

I gave you an award, come http://eatyourmaths.blogspot.com/2007/08/awards-more-merrier.html to get it!

Sam Chan said...

Thanks Karen for your insight about good sleep. Indeed it is never a good idea to sleep late.

Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Honman,

Thanks for the great saying "Resting is for you to embark a long journey". You are right! The key is to sleep well. My son needs 12 hours of sleep otherwise me and my wife find it very difficult to wake him up!

Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Janice, I don't really have that much of energy... that's why I remind myself with this post... searching for the reason to tell myself to sleep! :-)

Best Wishes to you, Janice!

Sam Chan said...

Hi Surjit,
I am glad you enjoy your sleep!
I gonna sleep after this :-)
God bless you.

Sam Chan said...

Oohh.. Winston, Mr Fong is addicted to the pac man game? I am glad you liked this post and the game. Well, if you are sharing your computer with your dad, you won't have a chance to use your computer! :-)

Thanks for the award! Really appreciate that.

Best Wishes

Family Man said...

Awesome post! I agree, and need more sleep myself.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Ian,

I am glad this little post make sense to you. Indeed, we all need more sleep. Well, I broke my goal to sleep before 12.00am. I am going to sleep after this :-)

Best Wishes

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)