Thursday, August 23, 2007

Beware of Pride

“Pride is pleasure arising from a man's thinking too highly of himself.” - Baruch Spinoza

We all do need to have a reasonable amount of pride in order to have a good self esteem. However, having too much pride can cause us to be full of ourselves, self-centred and become arrogant.

"Who never admits wrong loves pride more than facts. He is lifeless who is faultless."

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." - Proverbs 11:2

The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 5:5 (NKJV) -

"Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for 'God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.'"

A healthy dose of pride does have its value because it fuels pursuits. It pushes us to achieve academic, job-related or personal goals. However, don't allow pride to ruin you.

"Glory is a poison that can only be taken in small doses."

“Glory ought to be the consequence, not the motive of our actions”


The fine line is between confidence and arrogance. What do you think?

Photo by ThE~uNiQuE taken from this source

Related posts:

12 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Sam,

Ooohhh I think pride is one of our most difficult challenges as a species!

Thank you for this... it is a must needed message for our time!

:-)

Jen

FL Sam said...

Hi Sam, Nice posts. While we take pride in our achievement. We should never be arrogant and show off. Being oneself and stay humble as we may not know what challenges lies ahead. :)

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jennifer,
Very true! Pride is one of our most difficult challenges. We need to be constantly reminded to remain humble at all times and at the same time be proud of our achievement to move on.

Best Wishes to you, Jennifer.

Sam Chan said...

Hi FL Sam,

Many do need challenges or difficulties to know how to be humbled.

Thanks for your insight and wisdom. I really appreciate that.

My Best Wishes

WaterLearner said...

Hi Sam!

Phew! Thank God you are back! I really thought you were MIA when I came in with my morning coffee to find no updates!!

Good one on Pride.

I truly wise person would know that Pride/Ego in us is one of our biggest and worst enemies to eliminate. As the saying goes, "Pride comes before Fall", no matter how strong a person is , Pride is the prelude to self-destruction.

Blessings & Have a Good Weekend!

Trix said...

I always try to be humble, its the best way to live.When you place yourself above others, you inhibit your own growth and experiences as a human being.Thank you for this crucial lesson, Sam.Its all about finding that balance somehow, not being filled with the wrong type of pride.Very important ! :)

Sam Chan said...

Hi Karen,

Yup... I am back :-)
Well, I took a couple of days off (didn't make any post or answer any messages) without giving all my faithful readers prior notice. Sorry! :-)

Thanks for your insight and wisdom. Let's remember to contain our pride/ego.

Many Blessings and Have a great weekend!

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jesse,

Indeed, pride inhibit growth. Balance between self-esteem and pride is the key. Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

Have a great weekend, Jesse!

Anonymous said...

You have been tagged for The Personal Development List. (See my blog for details), I would love to have you participate.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

The line between confidence and arrogance is truly very slim. I've seen and come into contact with people who show great confidence together with true sincerity and I never feel that they are arrogant. That's a good point for me to model from..

Sam Chan said...

Hi Priscilla Palmer,

FYI, I hardly join meme. However, this meme is related to the theme of this blog, so I don't mind participating.

Well, I had just completed the post!
Hope that helps.

Thanks and My Best Wishes.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jacklyn,

You are right! There are still people who have great confidence and yet not arrogant. These people are good to model from!

Thanks for your valuable thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Best Wishes to you, Jacklyn.