Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Avoid making comparison with others

In this world, everybody play an important role.

There is a reason for everything. Have you wonder what will happen when everybody become doctors, professors, engineers, or businessmen? Where do you get your food if nobody is willing to do the planting? Who will then serve you in restaurant? Who will then wash the public toilet or collect the garbage?

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself” - Max Ehrman


Take a look at the story below:

Crackpot

A water bearer in China had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water. At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots of water to his house. Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments for which it was made, but the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After 2 years of what the cracked pot perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. "I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes my water to leak out all the way back to your house." The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house."

Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding. You've just got to take each person for what they are and look for the good in them.

Have a great day, accept people for the way they are.

(Source: Internet; Author Unknown)

"Learning to accept yourself and others is a vital component of strengthening our communities and changing the world for the better." - Gypsy Lerey

Photo 1 by momentito taken from this source
Photo 2 by nofrills taken from this source

Related posts:

19 comments:

WaterLearner said...

Hi Sam!

The story of the broken flower pot is not new to me. I agree that we should learn to make use of the strength of others, and use our strength to compliment the weakness of others when needed.

The world would be a more peaceful and harmonious place is we can change our perception and discard the idea that we have to be perfect. Life is more beautiful with its many imperfections. It depends on whether you are able to appreciate this form of beauty.

My Shallow Views!

Trix said...

Hello Sam, I love the story you used to illustrate this lesson. I have had times in my life where I have felt like the cracked pot, wondering why I am not as good as some of the others around me.It takes lots of work to overcome that feeling of being inadequate. I am still working on it.Thanks for this lesson, it helps me remember that many people feel a bit flawed, but we must see the good that we might be able to achieve, even though we are slightly flawed. :)

surjit singh said...

Sam, I agree with you.Every individual has a place to fill in the world, and is important in some respect...Whether he chooses to be so or not...
Thanks for sharing this wisdom.
Good luck.

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Sam,

This is one of my favorite stories! Thank you for sharing it!

It seems difficult in this world that tells us we are not so valuable, to know that we are each of importance and have gifts to contribute to the world!

Thank you my friend,

jen

Anonymous said...

Good Post. This is also one of my favourite stories that I came across. Although this world is not perfect, but we must always remember that everyone is special, unique and not perfect. We should accept others' weakness and focus more on their strength. Another point to note is "One's weakness is other's Strength, Other's Strength is One's weakness. This is my 1 cent view.

lilifxt said...

hi sam great post and story i beleive everyone in this world is special if people focus more with themselves and avoid more comparison people will achieve better and be more satisfied
thx for that great topic reminding us to avoid comparison with others
best wishes

WaterLearner said...

Oh May ..

Sam has been missing for two days!!

Sam Chan said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks for adding your meaningful views. Indeed, everybody can appreciate life much better with its many imperfections!

Let's learn to complement one another.

BTW, sorry for the late reply. I was away last couple of days for company assignment - meetings and seminar. I could not get onto the internet to post any messages. Well, now I am doing the catch up :-)

Blessings to you, Karen.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jesse,

You are welcome. I am glad you find this post helpful.

Frankly speaking, I also have the feeling of inadequate! That's why I am so into Self-Development. Well, if we are not defeated but rather do something about it, I believe the feeling can be beneficial.

Many Blessings to you, Jesse.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Surjit,

That's right!.. "Every individual has a place to fill in this world and is important in some aspect.."

Hopefully everybody understand this well.

Thanks for adding your insightful views.

My Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Jennifer,
Everybody is indeed important and valuable in this world. There are so many things everybody can contribute!

Thanks for adding your insightful thoughts to my post.

Blessings and Joy to you Jennifer!

Sam Chan said...

Hi Honman,

Thanks for giving me your feedback. I really appreciate it.

You are right! Let's remember that everyone is special, unique and not perfect. However, we must learn to accept each other weakness and focus more on their strength.

Thank you very much for your insight and wisdom! I really value your participation.

Best Wishes to you, Honman.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Lili,

Many thanks for adding your insightful thoughts to my post.

Indeed, let's stop comparing with others!

Best Wishes to you, my friend.

Life Reflection said...

Hi Sam,

We like to compare because our ego is at work. We will feel sad when we are not better than others or we will try to put someone down just to raise our ego.

Only when we let go of our ego, can we fully appreciate the strengths of others and fully acknowledge ours.

Thanks for sharing the story!

Unknown said...

I do love your articles Sam its just very encouraging and useful. I learnt a lot on here. This article is absolutely true. Appreciate individuality. I agree. Thanks

Sam Chan said...

Hi Life Reflection,

Very very true! Only when we let go of our ego, can we fully appreciate the strengths of others and fully acknowledge ours.

Thanks for adding your insightful views.

Best Wishes

Sam Chan said...

Hi Haze,

Thanks for your continued support and interest in what I do.

Let's appreciate individuality.

Many blessings to you, Haze.

Anonymous said...

It gave me a good wisdom

thanks for the story

www.filmoteca.biz said...

This cannot have effect as a matter of fact, that is what I suppose.