Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Power of Music


“Music is the universal language of mankind” - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.” - E. Y. Harburg


This post was composed while I was listening to my favorite music and songs. Without it, I was dozing off. Well, according to Science Daily, Music could be a way that the brain sharpens its ability to anticipate events and sustain attention.

“Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Andersen

"Without music, life is a journey through a desert." - Pat Conroy

“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without” - Confucius

"I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music." - Billy Joel

Baroque music (those that are of 60 beats per minute) has been known can accelerate learning, and enhances both short-term and long-term memory.

Besides, Music does bring people together and it does have healing power. There were experiments that have evidence that Baroque music actually increases the growth of plants, while acid rock kills plants! So be very careful with the type of music you listen to. There is power in Music!

What to do you think? Do you agree?

Photo 1 by JaxPhotography taken from this source
Photo 2 by Living Through the Lens taken from this source

Related posts:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

I absolutely do believe that music has the ability to affect brain patterns, emotions and even memories.
I'm intrigued by your notes on the baroque music. I think I'll have to look into that a bit.

Have a great week!
Hazel.

Sam Chan said...

Hi Hazel,
Thanks for agreeing with me that music has the ability to affect brain patterns, emotions and even memories.

May you find some great things about Baroque music!

My Best wishes to you.

J@n!ce said...

Emotions are conveyed via the words of the lyrics. Listening to soothing music has the healing power to de-stress & calm the mind.

Sam, consider putting up some music through your blog so that we could all hop over to de-stress. How about that? ;p

Sam Chan said...

Hi Janice,

Thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts. Putting music - that's a great suggestion. I will do some research and find out how to get free music to place in this blog.

My best wishes.

J@n!ce said...

Sam, try this...
http://www.imeem.com/

Anonymous said...

I've used Imeem its pretty good, I also like odeo.com which has embedding for bloggers - most platforms are available.

also you may want to try fileden.com
They offer online storage of your own mp3's, convert it into an url for you so you can link your blog to your fav's.

Have lots of fun with it, if you get a chance. And also be sure to let me know if you have any music to share. I'm always on the lookout for new musical experiences.

Thanks again Sam.
H.

Sam Chan said...

@Janice: Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out when I am free. My Best Wishes to you, Janice!


@Hazel: Thank you very much, Hazel. I really appreciate your help. I am a bit worry about the copyright issue and the slow down in the loading of my blog page. Besides, those in the office might get a fright if the music is not soft enough. My Best Wishes to you, Hazel